One hundred and ninety-eight years ago, in 1818, “dish” wampum was exchanged at the mouth of the river with Saugeen’s first recorded trader, Pierre Piche. It was carried by the local Metis community until 1902. That year, Mary Gonneville Benoit (Bennaway) Lamorandiere departed this life at Cape Croker. Her husband, Fred Lamorandierie, donated the wampum to the Ontario Department of Education museum, forerunner of the ROM.